[SA-exim] Cannot send message to self using external smtp server
Chris Purves
2006-04-01 05:40:07 UTC
If I send a message to myself using a 3rd party SMTP server, sa-exim rejects
the message and I receive the following message in the returned mail:

<***@northfolk.ca>: host mail.northfolk.ca[220.234.29.148] said: 500 error

There is no record of the mail in either mainlog, rejectlog, or paniclog.

If I set SAEximRunCond: 0 in sa-exim.conf and restart exim the same message
gets through.

I can send to myself with sa-exim enabled if I use my own server for SMTP.

Below are the headers from the offending mail with sa-exim is disabled:

From: Chris Purves <***@northfolk.ca>
To: ***@northfolk.ca
Subject: test
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:25:29 +0800

test
--
Good day, eh.
Chris
Chris
Marc MERLIN
2006-04-01 17:16:55 UTC
Post by Chris Purves
If I send a message to myself using a 3rd party SMTP server, sa-exim rejects
this reject is not from SA-Exim, it's from Exim itself. You should debug
your Exim config for that (and try exim-users if you need further help)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger ***@merlins.org for PGP key
Sander Smeenk
2006-04-13 12:21:27 UTC
Chris Purves
2006-04-14 05:10:49 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by Marc MERLIN
Post by Chris Purves
this reject is not from SA-Exim, it's from Exim itself. You should debug
your Exim config for that (and try exim-users if you need further help)
Even so it is weird that disabling sa-exim makes the message go through ;)
It seemed that it was a coincidence that it worked one time when
disabling sa-exim. Later attempts didn't get the same results. In the
end I was able to determine that it was not my machine that was sending
the 500 error. The messages were being rejected somewhere in the
middle. Either my ISP or government firewalls (I live in Shanghai)
think I shouldn't be able to receive mail from myself. You can imagine
my relief when I realised it was not a technical problem. ;-)
--
Good day, eh.
Chris
unknown